Juicing is a great way to increase your fruit and vegetable intake. It’s quick, easy and delicious! Aim to include one fresh green juice daily and you’ll see and feel the benefits in no time…
Some Benefits of Juicing
- More easily meet your daily fruit & vegetable requirements in a way that is easy for your body to assimilate and absorb the nutrients;
- Fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants which help to counteract the free radical cells in your body (and which could eventually lead to cancer);
- Cleanse your body and help get rid of built-up toxins;
- Increase your energy levels due to all the added nutrients you are getting;
- Increase your chlorophyll intake which enhances the delivery of oxygen to your cells;
- Vegetables are very alkaline-forming and help to balance the more acidic foods in your diet, e.g. meat, dairy, grains, etc. helping to reduce inflammation and pain in the body.
How to enjoy your juices
Fresh because as soon as the juice hits the air, the nutrients begin to oxidize and you lose nutrient value. Try and drink your juice immediately after juicing. It’s best not to store your juice in the fridge for any length of time.
- Organic because the nutrients are so easily assimilated in the body and you don’t want to be absorbing toxic chemicals too (e.g. herbicides, pesticides, etc.)
A Green Juice Recipe to Get You Started
Adapted from the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates
- 2 stalks celery
- ¼ zucchini
- 2 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 tsp ground flax
- ½-inch piece of fresh ginger
Process all ingredients through your juicer. You’ll find it easier to juice a hard fruit or vegetable after the greens to help push them through and extract as much juice as possible. Enjoy immediately.